A dentist recommends teeth whitening for patients that have mild to moderate teeth stains. They use a peroxide bleach that can safely target and remove stains on visible front teeth, improving the color and shade of your smile. The following is a discussion of professional teeth whitening and how to determine if treatment is right…
How Emergency Dentistry Offices Are Controlling Infection During the COVID-19 Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic has limited many dentists to providing emergency dentistry only. It has also led to dentists taking additional steps to reduce the risk of them and their patients getting infected with the coronavirus.
How emergency dentistry clinics are reducing the risk of COVID-19 infection
Here are some of the steps dentists are taking to keep everyone safe during this pandemic:
- Making sure all staff members at the clinic have had their seasonal flu injections
- Asking employees with flu-like symptoms to stay at home
- Regularly checking for symptoms of COVID-19
- Using protective gear like face masks, face shields, surgical gloves and surgical gowns
- Removing items in the waiting rooms that are not easily disinfected, like toys and magazines
- Scheduling appointments further apart to minimize the contact patients make with one another
- Advising patients not to bring companions unless necessary
- Screening patients for COVID-19 when they are checking in
- Postponing elective dental treatments, like teeth whitening
- Using phone calls and video conferencing to minimize contact with patients
COVID-19 has also lead to changes in the way patients interact with the dentist. Some of the new guidelines include:
- Patients can wait in their vehicles after checking in if they prefer. They get a text or phone call when the dentist is ready to see them
- Patients with flu-like symptoms should wait for their symptoms to clear before seeing the dentist
- Patients should wash their hands before and after their trip to the dentist
Figuring out if you need emergency dentistry
Any oral problem that requires immediate dental treatment counts as an emergency. Such issues are often accompanied by intense pain and discomfort. Treatment is typically needed to make these go away. Common dental problems that require emergency care include:
A knocked-out tooth
A tooth falling out due to trauma requires immediate dental care. The dentist might be able to reattach the tooth if the person makes it to the dentist within a few hours. The knocked-out tooth can be stored in warm milk or saliva while the person heads to the dentist's office.
An infected tooth
A tooth infection is caused by bacteria getting into the pulp chamber. It leads to throbbing toothaches that linger on. An infection in the mouth can spread to other areas of the body like the jaw and brain where it becomes a significantly more serious issue. Root canal therapy is the standard treatment for an infected tooth, but an extraction might be performed if the infection is severe.
A severely broken tooth
A severely broken tooth often leaves the pulp chamber compromised. As a result, saliva, bacteria and acids get into the pulp chamber, leading to toothaches when eating or drinking. If a severely broken tooth is infected, it with need a root canal or an extraction.
Get emergency dental treatment
Call or visit our Scottsdale clinic if you need emergency dental care. Our clinic is open to anyone who finds themselves dealing with a dental emergency.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
The potential side effects of teeth whitening include teeth sensitivity, gum irritation, and ineffective results. However, most patients do not experience any notable side effects from professional teeth whitening, as the dentist can monitor the process and perform treatment in a way that minimizes risk.Dentists take every precaution possible to minimize the risk of teeth…
Teeth whitening treatments work wonders when it comes to improving the way your teeth look. These treatments typically involve using compounds like hydrogen peroxide or hydrogen carbamide to improve the way teeth look. The compounds have bleaching properties and can penetrate past enamel into the inner layers of teeth for a thorough whitening effect. With…
Getting a smile makeover involves one or more procedures. It depends on the dental condition of the patient. The number of procedures also depends on what the dentist thinks would give the most favorable results. You and your dentist can talk about these and more at your first meeting. If you want to know what…